Article from the Canyon State Lion
Melvin Jones Lions International Memorial
PCC Ralph Williamson, President
There is a continuing misconception in regards to the Melvin Jones Lions International Memorial. It is very important to remember that each year we are not re-dedicating the Memorial as it was previously dedicated in 1965.
When we meet at the Memorial on January 11, 2014 we are re-dedicating OURSELVES to Lionism as our founder gave us the following Lions Code of Ethics:
- To Show my faith in the worthiness of my vocation by industrious application to the end that I may merit a reputation for quality of service.
- To Seek success and to demand all fair remuneration or profit as my just due, but to accept no profit or success at the price of my own self-respect lost because of unfair advantage taken or because of questionable acts on my part.
- To Remember that in building up my business it is not necessary to tear down another's; to be loyal to my clients or customers and true to myself.
- Whenever a doubt arises as to the right or ethics of my position or action towards others, to resolve such doubt against myself.
- To Hold friendship as an end and not a means. To hold that true friendship exists not on account of the service performed by one to another, but that true friendship demands nothing but accepts service in the spirit in which it is given.
- Always to bear in mind my obligations as a citizen to my nation, my state, and my community, and to give them my unswerving loyalty in word, act, and deed. To give them freely of my time, labor and means.
- To Aid others by giving my sympathy to those in distress, my aid to the weak, and my substance to the needy.
- To Be Careful with my criticism and liberal with my praise; to build up and not destroy.
It is suggested that our clubs review these Ethics with their members periodically.
This year our 1st International V.P Joe Preston will be our honored guest at the Lions re-dedication and at the luncheon on Saturday January 11, 2014. Please contact one of our MJLIM board members, your Zone Chairperson or myself to purchase your luncheon tickets.